meldCX undertakes extensive testing in our lab to ensure the highest possible stability and up-time for devices running meld.
Current Approved Chrome OS Version
- Chrome OS 73
- approved by meldCX on the 29th of May, 2019
- AOPEN Chromebox Mini, OS 73
- AOPEN Chromebox Commercial, OS 73
- AOPEN Chromebase Mini, OS 73
- AOPEN Chromebase Commercial, OS 73
Previously Approved Versions
- Chrome OS 67
- Chrome OS 64
- Chrome OS 62
How does the OS update work?
OS updates are triggered by the meldCX agent.
Meld pushes out an update to the meld agent app for Chrome, as a minor patch version, which will trigger Google's automated OS update process.
In our experience, devices can take up to 72 hours for the OS to successfully update. This is dependent on Google's systems & processes.
The device downloads the OS package from Google servers. Please ensure your network is configured to allow this Google traffic. This download happens in the background, and should not interrupt your device.
Upon successful download, the device will use the updated OS upon the next device reboot.
How do I keep my devices up to date?
1. meldCX's Managed CDM Service
In this scenario, your devices will start the OS update process when the meld agent trigger patch is pushed out.
If you are on a self-managed CDM and would like to move to the Managed CDM Service, please contact our support team.
2. Self-managed CDM
In this scenario, your CDM needs to meet our self-hosted CDM requirements. In particular,
- the "Allow kiosk app to control OS version" setting, underneath Kiosk Settings section; and
- the "Auto Update Settings: Stop auto-updates" setting.
3. Manually update your device's OS
Alternatively, you can manually update the device OS. This process requires between 30-60 minutes worth of effort, per device.
What happens if my devices are not running an approved OS version?
There is an increased risk of errors occurring on that device. This effects may vary in impact, and may include:
- Complete screen/display outages, black screens, white screens
- Signage and Kiosk apps crashing, no content running
- OS-related bugs and issues exposed to customers/users of the device
- Mouse cursor may appear on screen on signage displays